If you like Grand Designs and appreciate modern design, Shangri-La could be your ideal bolthole by the sea. This contemporary, beach house is just a one-minute walk from a stunning beach, plunging you into a truly secluded spot. Constructed in 2017-18 under the careful eye of award-winning Mile Architects, Shangri-La sprang to life from the footprint of what was a typical beachside ‘shack’.
There are lots of contemporary touches and up-to-the-minute features, such as environmentally friendly heating, fumed engineered oak flooring, washed plywood walls and wash lighting uplighters alongside modern light fittings. High vaulted ceilings create a feeling of space and light. With expansive glazing on the south elevation, this is the ideal place to relax while gazing out onto the unspoilt coastal plain.The main living area is open plan, with a kitchen, dining and relaxing area, as well as sliding doors to the patio. There is a small, separate TV and kids room, and two of the three generous sized bedrooms have glazed doors that open out onto the covered terrace.
Shangri-La sits in extensive grounds of around an acre that have been landscaped to combine manicured lawns with grass meadow areas. A private gateway takes you to the path that leads over the dunes and to the beach that stretches as far as the eye can see.
This holiday at a glance
- Sleeps six guests.
- Ground-floor accommodation
- Two bedrooms with king size beds and en-suite.
- One bedroom with twin beds.
- Family bathroom..
- Landscaped garden.
- Parking for three cars.
- Children welcome.
- Two well behaved dogs welcome (additional £70 charge).
- Minimum three night stay.
- Environmentally friendly PassivHaus heating.
- Integrated Miele electric oven and microwave, conduction hob with extractor.
- Fridge freezer, microwave and dishwasher.
- Washing machine and tumble dryer.
- Two Smart TV's, Sonos sound system.
- Travel cot.
- Garden furniture.
- Games in shed, including two kayaks (see Notes).
Shangri-La is a beach house, with contemporary, minimalist design creating an environmentally friendly property that wouldn’t look out of place on Grand Designs. Just one minute’s walk from the vast sands of Waxham Beach, the property boasts huge views across the coastal plain towards the Broads.